08 aprīlis, 2018

Detroit (2017 release)

Usually I "review" movies that are freshly in cinemas or show up on Netflix but as I haven't seen anything good there in past month or so (except Annihilation...which I think I will watch again and then write something) I have decided to briefly introduce you to Detroit - a movie from Kathryn Bigelow (known from Zero Dark Thirty, The Hurt Locker and probably others).
Detroit shows us some events during riots (actual events, just more dramatized, maybe..we will never know) that happened in 1967 in Detroit. It's a solid 2.5 hours a watch that starts kind of slowly but somehow you are thrown into action at the same time. Main thing is what went down in one motel.
During you get to see some footage from actual time there which is subtly edited into the movie. Enjoyed that decision.
What is this movie is about? Basically - racism and injustice. All I can say is that once again I felt angry, sad and hurt. Personally, I think the film found a way how to silently climb up on me and then at one point started to crush me down. And in a twisted not so twisted way I liked it.
I am grateful I didn't have to experience what they had but couldn't help myself to feel for the characters that were involved.
This might not be a movie for everyone (there are others out that in a way are similar to this plot/similar events. Racism and injustice in USA is nothing new etc.) nor everyone will like it as much as I did. But. The thing is.
I did. So I decided to type something here.

Rating: ★★★★

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru