And you have gathered a fantastic team of talent around you!! 10 Oscar nominations (don't need all to be "winning ones") is truly adequate.
The Favourite is an unordinarily funny, visually (production design, costumes, cinematography and editing. Yes, all these things!!!) mesmerizing piece of art that is carried out by a wonderful, dedicated and crafty cast. It tells a story about a somewhat weak (emotionally and physically) queen (Olivia Colman), her strong and bossy "right hand" (played by Rachel Weisz, my darling) and a newcomer (Emma Stone) who starts her journey into this as a maid, their interactions while there is some sort of war/peace negotiations going on in France. Movie is based on some true facts I won't be able to tell you which ones or how accurate these things were. I was watching to fill my art-aching heart nothing more. Also, my knowledge in history is lacking.
This is one of those rare movies where I can't even pick out what I didn't like. There were, however, some classics that caught my eye, like:
- Acting. It's such a great pleasure to watch and enjoy a movie where actors are doing their best by seemingly effortlessly portraying something they are not. All three ladies - Olivia Colman, Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone -, Nicholas Hoult and Joe Alwyn were glorious. I watched and I smiled. The script, music and make-up had a part in this no doubt.
- Sound effects. How nice it is to sometimes just hear life-like sounds like birds chirping, fireplace burning, earrings tinkling, gun firing etc. No music - sound effects. Music was weird and I liked it too though.
- Screenplay. I have one word. Witty. Wittiness is life. Also, men and ladies had juicy characters.
- CINEMATOGRAPHY AND EDITING. I found it so interesting and lets say "new" how they chose to edit the scenes (at times I felt a sense of calmness..because of the way it was edited. Editing made me feel. That's new) and put them together..Switching from "standard" to wide lenses and choosing the way cameras were moved around and how they were moved.
- Just read they shot the whole thing with only natural light. That's impressive.
- Production design. THE FILM LOOKED BEAUTIFUL.
So soon you will see my rating and maybe ask - why not 5 stars? I'll tell you. I am not sure I got the ending..That might be my fault, but the fact remains.
All in all I believe the movie does deserve 10 nominations and it is worth a watch..When you don't feel like Hollywood drama, Hollywood comedy, Hollywood anything.