17 oktobris, 2016

Captain Fantastic

I finally got my one candy piece to hold on to for the next great movie to come! Yay me!
Captain Fantastic (It's not a sci-fi superhero movie)!
I was taken by the first scene - it was full of nature and the mood was set so right I felt it right then it will be a good one. Finally.
The plot is also very appealing to me as I am a bit stressed out about all these new tech-specs and gadgets and wondering would it even be possible to raise normal, clever and not obsessed-with-phones/apps/computer games/junk food/etc children. So,
THE PLOT: A father of six children (age is quite different) lives in the forest and teaches them basically everything - they have very good knowledge about survival, hunting, music, literature, medicine, law, you name it. They also have physical training so they stay fit and strong not only mentally. In my eyes they're a pretty great family (watching them being blunt-honest made me smile and even laugh at times. I enjoyed watching them work, and DO THINGS - running, sweating, singing, playing instruments, such a treat for my soul - not seeing phones and sh*t, agh...) with one big flaw which you'll see and also might get already, as they are the only ones who live in this some sort of commune (without school, without socializing outside the family, not using phones, internet, eating only what they can get themselves etc). After a while something happens and the father with the kinds are somewhat forced to go into "the real world" and adapt. And here different obstacles appear. 
This movie had heart. The characters were different and well made, strong, so it was possible to get attached. It was full of nature and beautiful sights. Dialogues were almost always enjoyable and sometimes even laughable. The story kept building and developing and didn't get stuck (maybe it never happens in movies but I sometimes feel that way when I get bored or am not interested at all somehow). It was warm without being cheesy, it was also a bit comic and filled with appropriate amount of drama. 
What I felt was "not right" - close to the end of the movie it started to feel like it's being dragged to get more minutes or something. With this I want to say that for me it felt like they could've cut it 10 minutes shorter and it would've gotten a half a star more from me. Also some bits and pieces felt too overboard but they didn't ruin it for me.
Captain Fantastic is a very lovely drama with no real action/thriller (shouldn't have been, don't get me wrong) moments, filled with dialogues and scenes which can make you think about the past and how we live now.
Who would like this? I actually can't think who wouldn't find this movie interesting. You might agree, disagree about different things but all in all - it's good cinema. It was for me. Thank you Matt Ross (the director and writer) and all the cast --> everyone did an excellent job!


Rating: ★★★★

1 komentārs:

  1. Kate, couldn't agree more with you, undoubtedly a wonderful piece to watch. :) Story touched me, I now wonder whether out there might be people like they, must be tough at some point.

    AtbildētDzēst