11 novembris, 2016

Manchester By The Sea

What Manchester By The Sea gives us is a slow-paced, deep family drama where Casey Afflecks' character named Lee has to look after his teenage nephew after his brother (not the nephews brother, Lees' brother) dies. The dying part is not a spoiler as it happens at the beginning of the movie and the movie is not about the guy dying rather it is about how it influences main people that were close to him (the dead brother). 
This is one of those time-jumping pieces where real time meets past several times and it is done tastefully. We get to see how Lee is where he is and why he is the way he is. We also get to see somewhat normal, reasonable nephew in his teenage years. And there are other important people in Lees life that maybe camera doesn't fixate on but they're there in spirit big time.
What drew me in were these more or less unexpected scenes which just cut right into the feeling department of mine. Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams did such a great, believable job with their roles. Lucas Hedges was a very lovely teenage boy. Actually everyone had good chemistry which made this story realistic. So - can't complain about actor choices.
What somewhat let me down - as this movie has had a bit of success already and many people around are saying it most surely will be nominated for one or more next years' Oscars, I didn't "see it". It was a good drama, but I was hoping it would be even more emotional. Maybe my expectations were too high, that could be possible, but yeah - it's always a letdown when you wait for something amazing and it never arrives. I don't mind if this film gets nominated but, pardon me, I hope it doesn't get any of those shiny gold figures. I wasn't also impressed (not that anything was bad, it wasn't. Just when "Oscars" are mentioned, the bar lifts in my head) with color themes, sounds, music, camera views, anything really that usually gets my attention.
I really hope there will be movies that will satisfy me and everyone else this year. I still haven't seen any "WOOOW" movie from this year. BUT! Many have with THIS ONE.

I will say this again - it is a good, realistic family drama to see, just..if you have expectations maybe lower them so there will be a bigger chance for you to come out crying.

Rating: ★★★½

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru