25 februāris, 2016

The Dressmaker

I will start by saying The Dressmaker was almost a perfect fit to my movie taste. I even didn't really notice that 50's vibe.
IMDb says it fits into "drama" category. I will agree and add that it was also a comic and detective-ish piece.
It's a story told in a very interesting way. So a woman (played by Kate Winslet. I'll get back to amazing her later.) returns to her hometown, practically village, to make some excellent dresses with her sewing machine and do other things I won't tell you about. Watch the movie.
I'm a big believer of karma and this movie also was showing some "what goes around comes around" themes, so that must be another plus for me liking this film quite a bit.
Drama parts were neat, detective-ish parts good, the humor was excellent (I appreciate British and Australian comedy which you will be able to see in The Dressmaker. Americans rarely impress my laugh-longing soul) and what also pleasantly surprised me was these unexpected twists and turns here and there. I really did have a nice and lovely time.
Oh, KATE WINSLET! In my eyes, she just gets better and better with time (and practice maybe?). I'm very pleased somebody thought she would be good in this part. To me she was marvelous.
Camera and direction wise I can't say much because I was consumed in what was happening..or I was just giggling.
I should also add that this movie most probably isn't for everybody. I can suggest it to my friends who know my taste and have a similar one and also to people who are looking for something easy-going after a hard days work but who still want something with substance and a story to follow.
I know I shouldn't praise movies like I just did so you don't make up high expectations but I have warned you before - I write my afterthoughts and I do not want to hold back if something has made me quite happy.

Rating: ★★★★½

P.S. Liam Hemsworth was there, if somebody's interested in seeing him wherever he is in. 

2 komentāri:

  1. Absolutely marvellous as you said. Your rating caught my interest, but what a good shooting, all the details so pure and elegant. I would say shooting reminded me wonderful scenes of The Grand Budapest Hotel by mr.Anderson. Its definitely my favourite style.
    More of all I totally agree upon Kate, very charming. Just like wine, the older it get, the better its taste. Anyway a great piece.

    AtbildētDzēst