29 janvāris, 2016

Carol

I don't know how to begin. I'm still processing but I have to get this out now. Otherwise I won't be able to sleep well.

So it's a movie that is set in a time when world was still quite small, limited and when women were still suppressed and controlled by men.
We get to meet two very different women (character and age-wise) and see how they meet, develop together and apart, grow, change and live.
What I liked most was how taken I was by those word-less motions, those head nods or slight lifts, looks of interest, anger, fright, sadness, wondering or confusion and other emotions. I was consumed and intrigued, I wanted to get into Rooney Mara's characters head to see what she was thinking, it was great. I enjoyed how her character was build, it was insecure, confused, unsure but very willing and brave I would say. The character is a young woman and she has whole life ahead of her so she doesn't really say "no" to anything. And I don't think you should especially if you feel like it's right or could somehow be good for you. This was a character whose mindset I could get. But those different looks and how much they can say especially if masterfully shot....Thank you.
So if I was into Rooney's characters facial expressions I can tell you that I was very keen on Cate Blanchett's Carol's nature and the way (and tone of her voice) she spoke. Carol was a little fearless and willing to stand up for herself and what she wanted. She was mature and so strong and that is what I really like to see - powerful characters with flaws (because nobody's perfect. Don't even want to see something perfect). She spoke in a way like she's lived which obviously comes with age. What I can say in short - thank you for making these characters like they were - I have no objections.
What else? Well I did also enjoy it wasn't very political (50's and same sex relationship, you know..), it was more like a pure love story and it could have easily been with two guys in lead or even with a woman and a man.
Todd Haynes has done a magnificent job, I was interested and really felt for the characters and that is mainly what I want to receive from movies.
Also the set, costumes and music was appealing to me.
Thank you, I had a wonderful time.
So if you're up for a romantic drama with many emotions I truly suggest you can go and see this piece.
P.S. Did have small laughs here and there.


Rating:
★★★★½

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru